If you ask my mom, she’ll tell you that my passion for writing and presenting goes back to my youngest days. I still have some of my earliest stories and the VHS tapes to prove I’ve never been nervous in front of a crowd. I have since realized that my strength in writing rests strongly in non-fiction, and my passion to present stems from a desire to share what I’ve learned to spare someone else a few headaches in their own project. The listing below includes all publications and presentations that have reached any sort of audience. If you are interested in additional writing samples or presentation proposals, please contact me.
– “Planning Virtual Meetings and Webinars.” DLF Organizers’ Toolkit. https://wiki.diglib.org/Planning_Virtual_Meetings_and_Webinars. Last updated 3 July 2017.
– “The most challenging employee: Managing a team of one.” Bridge to Excellence, SLA NY. http://slanypublications.org/2016/10/30/the-most-challenging-employee-managing-a-team-of-one/. , 30 October 2016.
– “Member Voice: Exploring the Independent Info-Pro World.” SLA Florida & Caribbean Chapter Blog. http://floridacaribbean.sla.org/member-voice-exploring-the-independent-info-pro-world/. 2 August 2016.
– “The benefits of planning: Cataloging the vertical files of the Anton Brees Carillon Library.” With Jaime Fogel. Innovation, Collaboration and Models: Proceedings of the CLIR Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives Symposium, March 2015. Ed. Cheryl Oestreicher. Washington, DC: Council on Library and Information Resources, 2015. p. 104-110. http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub169/pub169.pdf.
– “How to Choose the Right ILS for Your Library.” The Small Library Manager’s Handbook. Ed. Alice Graves. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
– “Every meeting has been an investment in my career.” SLA Blog. https://www.sla.org/every-meeting-investment-career/. 9 September 2013.
– “10 Questions: Joy Banks. SLA Member Interview.” Information Outlook. March/April 2013. p. 18-21.
– “Is your future my future?” SLA Future Ready 365 blog. http://futureready365.sla.org/06/20/is-your-future-my-future/. 20 June 2011.
– “No more a stranger: My first encounter with SLA Annual.” http://floridacaribbean.sla.org/no-more-a-stranger-my-first-encounter-with-sla-annual/. July 2010. (text can be provided)
– “Mickey, Mammals, Movies, and More: Florida Theme Parks for the Modern Age.” Florida in the Popular Imagination: Essays on the Cultural Landscape of the Sunshine State. Ed. Steve Glassman. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2009.
– “Frontier Florida through Fiction’s Eyes: Patrick D. Smith’s A Land Remembered and Theodore Pratt’s The Barefoot Mailman.” Florida Studies Proceedings of the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Florida College English Association. Ed. Claudia Slate and Keith Huneycutt. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008.
– “Ordering Thoughts: A Discussion and Analysis of Electronic Publication and its Influence on the Scholarly Community.” Honors thesis. Florida Southern College, 2004.
– “A Failed Experiment: Prohibition and Rum-Running in South Florida.” Florida’s Heritage of Diversity and Justice: A Compendium of Honors Papers Produced at Florida Southern College. Ed. James Denham and Patrick Anderson. Lakeland, FL: Center for Florida History, 2004.
– Poetry in Cantilevers: A Journal of the Arts (“Je ne comprends pas” 2003, “Hearing Problems” 2004)
– “Help Wanted: Tips and Advice for Landing Your Next Job.” With Tina Budzise-Weaver, Tina Franks, and Leslie Reynolds. SLA Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ. 18 June 2017.
– “Strategies for Advancing Hidden Collections: A CLIR Webinar Series.” SFA Annual Meeting, St. Petersburg, FL. 11 May 2017.
– “Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives: Sharing Lessons Learned.” DLF Forum, Milwaukee, WI. 7 November 2016.
– “Get the picture: Describing historic images for access.” SLA Annual Conference, Boston, MA. 14 June 2015.
– “Oh look, there’s a bell! Processing the vertical files of the Anton Brees Carillon Library.” With Jaime Fogel. Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives Symposium. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. February 2015.
– “Always be prepared: A librarian’s guide to new beginnings.” Suncoast Information Specialists Meeting. Bok Tower Gardens, Lake Wales, FL. 27 September 2014.
– “Always be prepared: A librarian’s guide to new beginnings.” Florida State, Court & County Law Libraries Annual Conference. Palm Beach County Courthouse Law Library, West Palm Beach, FL. 4 October 2013.
– “From your archives to ours: Preserving carillon history in the 21st century.” Guild of Carillonneurs in North America Congress. House of Hope Presbyterian Church, St. Paul, MN. 18 June 2013.
– “Loyalty and Retention: Building Leaders for Your Unit’s future.” With James King, et al. SLA Annual Conference, San Diego, CA. 9 June 2013.
– “Seeking Collaboration: The Anton Brees Carillon Library and Chao Research Center at Bok Tower Gardens.” Society of Florida Archivists 2012 Annual Meeting. Hyatt Regency, Sarasota, FL. 4 May 2012.
– “Caring for the music in the Garden: The Anton Brees Carillon Library and Chao Research Center at Bok Tower Gardens.” 2011 Florida Association of Museums Annual Conference. Tampa, FL. 21 September 2011.
– “The online reading room: Providing global access to museum publications.” 2010 Florida Association of Museums Annual Conference. West Palm Beach Marriott, West Palm Beach, FL. 23 Sept. 2010.
– “D is for doh! Documenting decisions with data dictionaries before you digitize.” Western CONTENTdm Users Group Meeting. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT. June 2010.
– “You want us to do what?: Personal reflections and suggestions on starting a digitization project with no experience, no forewarning, and no training.” Eastern CONTENTdm Users Group Conference. Yale University, New Haven, CT. Aug. 2009.
– “Holding an Effective Pre-School Story Time.” Florida Southern College Library Staff Training. Lakeland, FL. 4 June 2009.
– “Frontier Florida through Fiction’s Eyes: Patrick D. Smith’s A Land Remembered and Theodore Pratt’s The Barefoot Mailman.” Annual Meeting of the Florida College English Association. Indian River Community College, Ft. Pierce, FL. 8 Nov. 2007.
– “Weaving Together the Threads of Life in Tennyson’s ‘The Lady of Shalott.’” Annual Meeting of the Florida College English Association. Imperial Swan Hotel, Lakeland, FL. 9 Nov. 2006.
– “English Department Presents.” Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL. 2004. (A presentation of the theoretical portions of my Honors Thesis “Ordering Thoughts: A Discussion and Analysis of Electronic Publication and its Influence on the Scholarly Community.”)
– “Looking towards the future: A report on the Progress of rEnDITIONS.” Fiat Lux. Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL. 2003. (A report of the research I conducted for the FSC Academic Dean Research Grant focusing on the feasibility of creating an electronic journal for Shakespearean studies and involved collection development for the FSC Roux Library.)